CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, April 24, 2009

hello from Addis!

Greetings from Addis Ababa!
 
We arrived safely on the 21st and have been journaling a lot, but haven't quite had time to find internet access as of yet. i promise full details of our trip when we return, but the Cliff's notes for now.
 
upon our arrival in Addis we visited the bethany offices and met with milkiyas and his staff - they are our reps here in Ethiopia. milkiyas felt it was okay for us to visit Awassa where the kids are from and he arranged it with our driver. He gave us three warnings - no spicy food, no tap water, and don't contact the kids' parents. We followed all but the spicy food thing.
 
So on Wednesday morning we left for awassa. it was a full 5 hour drive and we were wondering why we did it....until we got there. We stayed at an old run down place right on lake Awassa, but the atmosphere more than made up for it. We spent several hours over the next two days gazing out at the lake and unwinding while the monkeys ran around under foot.
 
on Thursday morning, the two reps from Shalom orphanage came by to pick us up - Solomon & Abreham. We spent the day touring their office and the orphanage. I was a bit surprised because there are only infants there right now - all newborns up 4 months old or so. And adorable. Wow, so sweet that i momentarily thought about trying to hide a few in my backpack. We had a great day seeing the city, the hospital where both kids were born, and having a coffee ceremony with their nannies. marc video taped it all so we can show the kids later.
 
this morning we left and arrived back to Addis in the afternoon. i think several other Bethany families should be here by now. i know that the johnsons made their way down to Awassa this morning as well. i hope that they are as happy they made the trip as we are. it was long but well worth it. We were the first people to visit Shalom. Ever. i think they took more pictures of us than we did of everything we saw.
 
oh, marc says i forgot about the bike. We ended up buying a bike at the market for the nannies there, so that they can get around quickly when they need to go to the market or pick up supplies. I think they were happy with it.
 
Anyway... Tomorrow morning we go to the transition house to meet the children. We can't wait. Will update more when i can...
 
love, kellie and marc

11 comments:

Margaret and Cordel said...

AHHHHHH!! That is just FANTASTIC to hear!!! I want to hear all about how you got to go, etc because we will want to go too when we go! SO happy for you and I cannot wait to hear more and see pics!!

Doodle - said...

Fabulous!!!!

I am so glad that you all are getting to experience the landscape your babies have seen for so long.

MUCH LOVE and Safe travels!

The LaHuis Family said...

OHH that is so great. That is where our babies are for us April referrals. Thanks for sharing! Secretly I am hoping to see some pics;)

RollerCoaster said...

I can't you how thrilled I am to read an update! I can't wait for the full version because your cliff note version sounds AWESOME! I can't WAIT to hear more!

Safe travels and lots of good wishes coming your way!

Demarie said...

I'm so glad you were able to go to Awassa! I wish we had been able to visit J's home...someday.

kterhaar3 said...

Thanks for the detailed post! Shalom is where our little girl is too, so I got goose bumps when I heard that there are not a lot of visiting families there. I'm so glad you could be a blessing to them. Can't wait to hear (and see) more!

MomP said...

Hello from the Moms - all is well here. F. is doing great, and counting the days until you return with his brother and sister! We check the globe each day to assure him of where you are! He is so excited!!!! Love to you guys, and safe travels!

Rose said...

I am so excited for you! :) I'm so glad you get to see your kids! :)

kelley menard said...

My social worker from Bethany forwarded on your blog to my husband and I and I am so glad that she did! We are adopting from Shalom Childrens Hope in Awassa and I am certain that one of the babies you saw was our daughter- her name is Lidya and she is 5 months old right now, do you remember her? Right now we only have a referal picture of her and I was hoping that you might have more pictures/info that you could pass along to us if at all possible to kelleymenard@hotmail.com....thank you and we will pray for you and your family while you are in Ethiopia. Thank you!!!!

Kelley and Kevin Menard
Bellingham, WA 98225

Unknown said...

Hi Mama & Daddy
Wow we get to eat so much Chinese food when you are away
I liked talking to both of you the other day. I miss you both so much
I can't wait to meet my brother and sister. See you on Friday
Fletcher

Lori said...

What an amazing update!! It sounds like things are going great. I can't wait to hear ALL about it when you get back!!