CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, August 21, 2009

Back-to-School Time


Back-to-School time is approaching rapidly. We got a call from Macy's teacher earlier this month asking if we'd like to come in and meet with her to discuss Macy, what she knows, what the Kindergarten plan will be for her, etc. We did that last Friday and it went well. Her teacher, Mrs. V., had taken an ESL course over the summer to help her prepare for having Macy in her class. Isn't that great? Mrs. V is very sweet and I think that Macy is going to love being in her class.

In addition to that private meeting, we also attended the official back-to-school night and ice cream social on Wednesday afternoon. Macy got to drop off her supplies, see her cubby and desk, and see Mrs. V again. Then we had ice cream on the playground!

This morning was Macy's assessment and her third time meeting her teacher. This was the first time that I left here there (although it was only for 20 minutes!). I'm glad that we're able to build this trust and relationship with the teacher, rather than having to throw Macy right into the fire.

Mrs. V said she can tell that Macy is "ready to learn". She evidently knew all of the letters on the computer keyboard, did well counting, spelled her name, then started spelling Fletcher's name too. I think she's going to do great, although she might have a small problem doing what the teacher wants her to do versus doing what SHE wants to do. Hopefully seeing all of the other kids sitting down, listening, will help to steer her in the right direction.

This afternoon, we go back to the school yet again. This time for Fletcher's meet-and-greet with his Preschool teachers. Which means I should go wake him up from his nap...

2 comments:

MomP said...

I'm so proud of Macy . . . what a big step for her!

Unknown said...

Wow Kellie such a BIG Step for Macy!! I would not worry to much about the whole doing what the teacher wants vs what Macy wants to do. That is all part of the normal going ot school process and I bet she does great!!