CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Happy New Year!

I can't wait to see what 2008 brings for us. I'd like to think that our family is going to grow this year! We'll also probably be moving sometime towards the end of the year and, hopefully, Marc will have a new job as well. Lots of exciting changes for certain.

I've been lucky enough (insert eye roll here) to be sick in bed with the flu for the past 2 days, giving me lots of time to read There is no me Without You. This is a must read - for those adopting or not - to get a stunning view of what is happening in Ethiopia. The picture in my head of Ethiopia always was of Sally Struthers in a little remote village with tiny naked boy with big belly. This book tells of the chaos that the whole country is facing because of death and disease and lack of aid. It almost makes me feel...guilty?...for selfishly adopting children who I want to bring home with me and claim as my own. Like I should actually be providing them with a way to stay in their country with their families. Unfortunately most of them have no families due to AIDS and other diseases. I'd be really interested in hearing how others felt after reading this book (I'm only about 1/2 way through right now.).

4 comments:

MB said...

Thanks for adding my blog to your links!

I haven't read There's No Me Without You yet, but it's at the top of my reading list! I'd love to hear more about what you thought of it when you finish.

Anonymous said...

I loved it. Loved it. Couldn't put it down and plan to read it again after I get it back from a friend. Its horrible. I cried. It made me angry. and sick at my stomach. and although I was leaning toward wanting to adopt before i read it, i knew I HAD to adopt after... i feel like i can't not do something, knowing what i now know... ya know?

Unknown said...

Maribeth, I finally finished it and, like Angela said below, I cried, I laughed, I knew that I would be changed forever. A "must read" for sure!

Unknown said...

Angela, I *definitely* know what you mean! My husband says "you can't unsee things" and that definitely applies here.

~Kellie