Since I'll be spending the next few weeks just sitting here.....tapping my toe.....waiting for a little piece of paper to show up in my mailbox, I thought I'd take the opportunity to answer some questions we've gotten and tell our "story" so to speak. It's not really all that interesting, but (believe it or not) some people have asked for it.
What made you decide to adopt?
Well, there was no defining, "ah-hah", heavenly angels singing type moment really. Adoption is something that Marc and I talked about before we were married. It's not something I ever mentioned to anyone before I met him, but I always felt like it was something I wanted to do. And he agreed. I can't even remember now if it was the same for him or if that was his "ah-hah" moment, but it's something that we, as a couple, felt would be part of our lives in time.
Trying to be Brangelina, huh?
Not at all. This is, as mentioned, something we wanted to do way before "Brangelina" was even a term. While I'm kind of "icked" by the fact that babies seem to be the new accessory in Hollywood, I'm glad that Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie (among other celebs) have brought some light to the fact that there are orphans out there in other countries who need families.
Why Ethiopia? Aren't there enough kids in America?
There are a lot of reasons behind this. Some good, some selfish, some unexplainable. When we first started looking into adoption a few years ago we automatically gravitated to international adoption. Our thoughts (real / imagined / ridiculous / whatever) involved not thinking we could do an open adoption as is becoming more common here in the US; knowing that babies were highly desired in the US and we were open to other ages and races that might not be as sought after; knowing that at least kids in the US foster care system were in foster care and not in an orphanage; thoughts about timing; thoughts about "getting" a child v. waiting to be "picked" to be a parent....on and on. They weren't all rational thoughts...but they were ours.
So we originally (back before Fletcher was born - it must have been 2004) decided on international adoption instead of domestic, then we had to pick a country. We began with China, but found that I surprisingly was not old enough because I was only 28 at the time. Ha!
We shied away from eastern block countries because of all of the horror stories you hear about attachment disorders and other emotional problems. Probably an unfair assessment, but hey, I'm just being honest about what led our choices. It was important to us that the child came from a loving place, not a cold, harsh, institution.
The agency we were talking to at the time (Hope's Promise) had a Sierra Leone program that Marc was really excited about. (He's always had an interest in / passion for Africa and its history.) I wasn't so sure though. I really appreciated the loving environment, but I think my biggest concern at the time was about our ability to raise a black child in this world. I don't need to get into racism...we all know it is alive and well. I certainly didn't question whether I'd be able to love a child that looked different than me. I just wondered if I'd be able to give them what they needed to grow up strong, happy and well adjusted.
Long story short, we decided that the timing wasn't right anyway. We decided that, despite our conception woes, we want to keep trying for a bit longer to have a biological child before adopting.
So how did you make that decision then?
One day I got a random email from an adoption agency called Bethany. I had requested some info from them long long ago. The email featured a family of 3 siblings who had lost their parents. It was basically a plea for someone to adopt them. I called Marc (he was out of town) and asked half joking "Do you want three Ethiopian children?" He said yes. The rest is history. We started the process a few weeks later. (No, the kids from that email will not be ours though!)
Are you able to have more biological children? Do you plan to?
Well it's not in OUR plan, but I guess one can never say never. We believe - even after many miscarriages before Fletcher - that we could probably have more biological children. But Marc has been blessed with his daughter Jackie and we've been blessed with Fletcher. We really don't feel the need to have other biological children. We are firm believers that family is what you make it - it's not determined by DNA but by the love you have for one another. Neither of us look at newborns and get "the itch". My womb doesn't yell about the cobwebs that are growing within. We're good. We're happy. We are thankful that we did get to experience pregnancy and child birth and having a newborn. And we'll just have to see what happens next.
How much does adoption cost?
A lot. Surprisingly, no one is really getting rich or profiting from it. The money goes for lots and lots and lots of government paperwork (ours and theirs), to our agency for guiding us through the whole process, to the orphanage in Ethiopia, to other organizations that have their hands in the mix and for traveling to and from the country. Our airline tickets alone can cost around $3000 each. Wowza!
How long will it take?
We have no idea. We are the trailblazers for our agency's Denver office. Our social worker has said that it could take 12 - 18 months for us to get a referral. As I have learned, she tends to overestimate time lines (but only so that we are not disappointed or frustrated). Marc seems to think that we will travel by the end of the year. I hope he's right. People with other agencies have been waiting 6 - 9 months it seems, but there are always different time lines for different situations.
Why two kids?
We originally planned to have 2 (3 if you ask Marc, but let's face it, it's my womb) biological children, the adopt one child. We still want a big family, so we decided to go for it and adopt two children. We made up in our own minds that they would adapt better having a biological sibling here with them...I don't know if that's true in the least but it made sense to us. If you ask Marc he would say it's the "buy one, get one half price" offer (which is not nearly true, but he thinks he's funny). Oh and he'd also say "So my beautiful, intelligent, wonderful wife only has to go through doing all that $%^*& paperwork one time."
Okey-doke...that's about all the questions I can remember for now. If you have more, just leave a comment. We'll be happy to answer just about anything.
4 comments:
WOW!!!! You answered every question I was to shy to ask!
I think it is great, and I can't wait to meet those sweet babies (yes, I know they may be children, but I call my 12 year old a baby still!).
I think a celebratory zoo trip may be in order!
Thanks for sharing your story. I've been following your blog. It's exciting to see how God speaks to people in different ways but all towards the same path.
Good luck!
Melodie
www.themonbergs.com
What an incredible, beautiful journey your family has been through to adoption. I am from Haiti originally and have always had a desire to adopt. My hubby and I were seriously looking into do that prior to finding out about our newest addition (our 4 mos old). We still hope to adopt one day.
I loved reading about the start to your journey. I am also an adopting Mom looking to connect with other families in process. You can visit our blog @ www.journeytomercy.blogspot.com
Post a Comment